Monday, February 07, 2011

Oxford on Screen 1: Inspector Morse

Hi everyone, I'm Alex and for my week of guest-blogging on Oxford Daily Photo I'm going to do a series on films and television programmes that are set or were filmed in Oxford. Each day I'm going to post a still from a different film or programme that features an Oxford location, along with a photo of that location now.

The first post is on Inspector Morse, the ITV series based on Colin Dexter's books that ran from 1987 to 2000. The still frame above is from the end of the first episode, the Dead of Jericho. A lot of the action in the episode takes place in Canal Reach, which as you might have guessed from the title is in Jericho. The actual street used for filming was Combe Road, just across from the Old Bookbinders pub, which also features in the episode.

6 comments:

Amanda said...

I loved Morse - even went on a Morse tour once when I was in Oxford!

Leeds daily photo said...

Well I guessed right very first Morse Jericho. I met Dexter once a long time back over a drink in the Old Parsonage.

Pmatwiy said...

An excellent choice for a series of photos. I met Colin Dexter during a book signing tour in the US, and not (alas) in a pub.

Sharon said...

I miss Morse! I loved that show. Inspector Lewis is doing a good job of filling his shoes but, no one can really fill Morse's shoes adequately.

Jack said...

I was in Oxford last summer and they were filming Inspector Lewis in front of the hotel I was staying in. It was fun watching them take two hours and multiple shots for what will eventually be ten seconds of action in the TV show.

Annie (Lady M) x said...

Wow Alex, I have just seen your week of photos, and they were absolutely brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to do that!