Sunday, December 12, 2010

Arthur Street Oxford OX2 0AS

This was Arthur Street Oxford this morning, taken from the end looking back up the street towards Russell Street. The old Oxford City power station on the left, now used by Oxford University's Engineering department, backs on to the River Thames. I took this photo as I had a nice comment from June in Florida who used to live in this street and left Oxford in 1950 for Florida. Hope this photo brings back a few memories, I am not sure how often you get back to Oxford June, but if you do drop me a line, would love to hear stories of how Oxford has changed.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Don't want to be pedantic or anything, but the Thames, when it passes through Oxford, is called the Isis. :)

june in florida said...

Thank you so much.I was born in #10 and after i left Mum moved to Grans house which was #14 the blue door.Across from #10 was the shaft for coal deliveries for the power plant, trucks would drive up dump the coal and it would be lifted up the shaft by crane all day long.My playground was Osney cemetary and I remember the flour mill fire at the end of Mill st.Somewhere on the mill site was a remnant of the old abbey,a piece of wall.Again thank you.

sarah said...

Would be interested to know if anyone from Arthur Street knew a family by the name of Brookings or knew my aunt Betty Hailey?

sarah said...

Would be interested to know if anyone from Arthur Street knew a family by the name of Brookings or knew my aunt Betty Hailey?